Pages

Saturday 16 June 2012

The Friars Aylesbury


The Friars Aylesford / Kent
Visited on Thursday, 14 June 2012






I had offered to drop a friend off to her exam in some community centre somewhere in the middle of Kent – well in Aylesford to be correct. And while Claire was sweating over Open University equations, I had 3 hours to spare. The plan was to sit in a chain coffee store and continue to write on my book (after all, it had worked for J.K. Rowling...). Claire’s friend suggested ‘The Friars Aylesford’ as a nice place to look around and sit, so the postcode went into my SatNav.

From the website:
The Friars - Aylesford Priory - is an ancient religious house of the Order of Carmelites.
 The Carmelites are a religious order, belonging to the Roman Catholic Christian faith. The Friars Aylesford Priory was first established in 1242, so there is a lot of historic ground here. Now, it is also a place for pilgrimage for the religious devout. But the grounds and parks can be enjoyed by anyone, and the buildings are also used as public conference rooms and training centre.



The Friars is easy to find, signposted off the A 229. There are two car parks, one near the entrance by the tearoom, and, further down, the main car park. I found a space without problems, and there were still plenty left, but this was a Thursday morning.



Not knowing the ground at all and just wanting to explore, I spotted the sign: ‘Pottery’ across the far end of the car park. It looked interesting and inviting and was shouting ‘picture opportunity’ to the photographer in me. My question to the gentleman working in the pottery of whether he minded me taking pictures here was answered with the most genuine and friendliest: ‘Of course, no problem at all’. Visitors are truly welcome here.








Apart from watching the happenings in the pottery, there are also items for sale and pottery classes are offered.






The grounds of The Friars are large, housing several buildings and smaller parks, but it can be comfortably covered walking, even by those not very fit. Everything is easily accessible.



I always find the architecture in churches / religious buildings particularly beautiful and interesting. Archways, long walkways and the surrounding landscaping again gave me plenty of photo opportunities.




                                   
  
The Peace Garden was my favourite place at The Friars. A small gem hidden behind The Gatehouse, this garden is a recent addition to The Friars, opened in April 2012. I was fascinated by the tiles on the ground, bearing the word ‘Peace’ in many different languages. (think Hollywood and the handprints of the stars on the ‘Walk of Fame’). I mean, have you has ever heard of ‘Wyandot’ language? What a simple and beautiful idea. And as I walked through the Peace Garden, a strange feeling came over me. Contented, at ease with the world and me, all stress falling off. Peace indeed.


 





The Rosary Way will be especially poignant for the religious devout visitor. A fountain for holy water (easy access for everyone), images of the saints displayed on the walls, bushes of white and yellow roses.

 








Over the back wall, I was surprised to find a rather fast flowing River Medway. I could have sat there for hours just watching it. Though one cannot actually see the river without peeking over the walls. 


After a 2 hour walk I finally found my way to the tearooms, housed in the large West Barn.  Don’t expect a gourmet meal, but you will be well covered if you are after a small snack, cup of tea, cake or a cold drink.  When I visited, two different cakes where on offer, as well as a selection of sweets and packed cakes i.e. flapjacks. Hot meal on offer was ‘carrot soup’. Prices are very reasonable. I paid £4.50 for a small bottle of orange juice, a coffee and a piece of cake. The tables on the inside of the barn house are rather tightly packed, and there are signs to say that tables are reserved for paying customers. This makes me think that it will be rather busy at weekends and holiday periods. There is also a book and gift shop which I did not visit, but according to their website, you can find gift, religious articles, cards and publications.



Though not deeply religious, I felt just simply content and happy. I walked back to the car park in a state of calmness, ready to face tomorrow’s commuting and a hectic work schedule. Though I am not sure if it would have been the same experience of peace had I visited on a busy Saturday afternoon, with coaches of pilgrims emptying in the car park. I was also lucky that the weather was beautiful for once. The resident ducks and geese are certainly unperplexed by it all.




How to get there

Toilets

Entrance fee

Opening times

No comments:

Post a Comment